Batter Licker

December 16, 2010

On those beautifully sunny winter days when it’s almost temperate outside, I long for the colorful, juicy produce of summer. In those moments, I often forget about the vibrant fruit available to spruce up winter salads, and I suspect others are guilty of making this same mistake.

SAM_3010-250 SAM_3014-250

Tart pomegranate seeds and sweet pears bring some crunch to this salad, while the pulpy sweetness of persimmons is balanced by peppery arugula the creamy saltiness of goat cheese. Tossed with a sweet, slightly tangy and herby Orange-Thyme Vinaigrette, this salad showcases the best flavors and colors that winter has to offer and gives summer salads a run for their money.

Pomegranate, Persimmon, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
Serves 2

4 c. arugula and baby spinach
1/2 c. pomegranate seeds (about 1/2 of one pomegranate)
1 pear, chopped (I used a comte pear)
1 ripe hachiya persimmon, chopped
3 to 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 to 1/2 c. Orange-Thyme Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Toss together all ingredients except goat cheese until coated in vinaigrette, and keep chilled in refrigerator until ready to serve. Sprinkle with goat cheese before serving. Serve at room temperature.

Orange-Thyme Vinaigrette
Makes 1/2 cup

1/4 c. olive oil
zest of one orange
1/4 c. orange juice (about one orange, squeezed)
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients together until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

9 Comments »

1. This looks so delicious! I’m looking for a good salad to make for dinner, and this will be it! I absolutely love pomegranate seeds but I have never thought of putting them in a salad! And with goat cheese makes it 10x better! Can’t wait for dinner tonight now!!

Comment by Tattoo Removal — December 16, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

2. OMG Kristen! I was going to make this exact salad tomorrow night at Joe’s parent’s house (we had something similar at a restaurant a few weeks ago)! Wow, it’s like kismet :)

Comment by Kelsey — December 16, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

3. Though I’m not a fan of the pomegranate (I know, I know), this salad is gorgeous!!! Love the color!

Comment by The Food Hound — December 17, 2010 @ 5:02 am

4. I love pomegranates, but given their intense flavor, I can see why they might not appeal to everyone. Even without the pomegranates, the salad would still be pretty colorful and almost as delicious. You could even add some dried cranberries or dried cherries to keep the pop of red!

Comment by Kristen — December 18, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

5. Too funny, although I’m not surprised that we’re on the same page with this. ;) Did you use a different vinaigrette?

Comment by Kristen — December 18, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

6. Hope you enjoyed it! With all the lovely colors and flavors, I enjoy having it be part of my winter salad repertoire!

Comment by Kristen — December 18, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

7. lovely salad and your right good to use seasonal fruits in it
    Rebecca

Comment by rebecca — December 19, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

8. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jeanette Chen. Jeanette Chen said: RT @chowandchatter: great winter salad http://batterlicker.com/2010/12/pomegranate-persimmon-pear-and-goat-cheese-salad-with-orange-thym … [...]

Pingback by Tweets that mention Batter Licker » pomegranate, persimmon, pear and goat cheese salad with orange-thyme vinaigrette -- Topsy.com — December 19, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

9. Wow, your awesome site is full of yummy foods and I really appreciate your posts along with impressive photos. Thank you so much for sharing. I subscribe to you site and please you do mine as well, thanks.

Comment by afshana — July 26, 2013 @ 9:24 pm