reflections on my hiatus
Now that it’s August, please consider July to have been my unintended month-long vacation from the blogosphere. Because giving vacation notice a month after someone has already taken the vacation is entirely acceptable, professional etiquette.
By the way, Monsieur Bossypantsman, you may have noticed I haven’t been physically or electronically present for the past month. Well, I was on vacation, but now I’m back and seriously ready to get ‘er done.
Can you imagine?? In the non-internet world, that would be taken almost as seriously as this guy.
But it was a heck of a month spent redlining contracts, negotiating this-and-thats, informing the (allegedly uninformed) marketing masses about the ins-and-outs of unauthorized trademark use and consumer confusion, and managing an overflowing email inbox by siphoning most messages into a “Deal With Post-Conference” folder.
Not to mention generally marching around in my no-way-Jose lawyer hat that’s complemented by my conflict-resolving superwoman cape.
Which is to say that I spent much of July smiling in a friendly manner while shaking my head vehemently “no” and then concocting creative solutions so the BlogHer teams could continue doing some of the fabulous things they do best:
- Convincing President Obama to chat at the BlogHer ’12 conference opening (check out his adorable expression at 2:56; squee!!);
- Putting on an incredible fashion show in New York (check out BlogHers Maria at 4:50 and Monique at 10:20! They totally rocked!);
- Redesigning our homepage to make it better than ever, with super cool dictionary-esque thumb tabs at the top;
- Working with bloggers to review and give away brands’ latest and greatest products (’nuff said);
- Launching BlogHer TV (so excited that BlogHer is featuring video content from a food blogger I love, Weelicious); and
- Paying out $17 million to 4,250 bloggers for their influence, reach and writing.
Speaking of which, I’m both extremely proud and unbelievably exhausted. Is it November yet and am I on a beach in Thailand with Jay, waving a flag to signal resort waitstaff to bring me yet another cocktail?
An extra brandied cherry this time, sir, if you please.